Profile of the Lukewarm: Would you describe yourself as totally in love with Jesus Christ? Or do the words half-hearted, lukewarm, and partially committed fit better? The Bible says to test ourselves, so I am going to offer you a description of what lukewarm people can look like. As you read these examples, I encourage you to take a searching, honest look at who you are now, and how you are living today.
- Attend church fairly regularly. It is what is expected of them, what they believe “good Christians” do, so they go.
- Give money to charity and to the church… as long as it doesn’t impinge on their standard of living. If they have a little extra and it is easy and safe to give, they do so.
- Desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions than what God thinks of their hearts and lives.
- Don’t really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin.
- Are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act. Lukewarm people call “radical” what Jesus expected of all His followers.
- Rarely share their faith with their neighbours, co-workers, or friends. They do not want to be rejected, nor do they want to make people uncomfortable by talking about private issues like religion.
- Gauge their morality or “goodness” by comparing themselves to the secular world. They feel satisfied that they are nowhere as horrible as the guy down the street.
- Say they love Jesus, and He is a part of their lives. But only a part. They give Him a section of their time, money, thoughts, but He isn’t allowed to control their lives.
- Love God, but they do not love Him with all their heart, soul, and strength.
- Love others but do not seek to love others as much as they love themselves.
How many of these “lukewarm traits” resonated with how you’re living your own life? Pray for God to work on softening your heart, then choose one specific trait to work on (and pray on) throughout this week. – Francis Chan
Source: Francis Chan, ‘Crazy Love’ devotional, day 4, YouVersion Bible app