Paul in Acts 17:16-34
2 Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
- Likes to debate
- More concerned with thoughts than feelings
- Avoid getting stuck on academic points, arguments and evidence. These are mainly to clear the way to the central gospel message.
- Remember that attitude is as important as information. 1 Peter 3:15 says to have “gentleness and respect.”
- Avoid becoming argumentative.
Suggestions for using and developing this style
- Set aside time to study and prepare. This style, more than the others, relies on preparation. Take serious action on what it says in 1 Peter 3:15: But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
- Avoid doing all your preparation in an academic vacuum. Get out and talk to others. Try out your insights and answers on real people, and make refinements as needed.
- Develop your relational side. Talk to people about everyday events, and what is happening in their life and yours.
- Team up with friends who have other styles that may be better matched to the personality if the person you hope to reach.